"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Monday, May 2, 2011

Feeling better these days is a matter of degrees, and I do feel a few degrees better today. I slept about 10 hours Saturday night and then was out cold for more than three hours on Sunday afternoon, much more sleep than I usually get, but maybe that's just my body trying to repair itself. I plan to go for a run tomorrow afternoon. How far I'll go I have no idea. I may not make it to the end of the street. I'll take a good long warm up walk (I feel much better once I get moving) and then start out VERY slow to make sure I'm not doing any more damage to anything. The clock is ticking though. 34 days to Newport and I'm determined to be at the starting line as prepared as I can be. Serving as extra motivation is the fact that a running couple I go to church with ran their 2nd marathon yesterday and both finished at 4 hours (3:57 and 4:00:41 respectively), after finishing their first marathon six months ago in 4 1/2 hours. I am totally thrilled by their accomplishment, but now I need to do the same.

No comments: