"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Two weeks ago I hurt myself.
 
One week ago I knew it was getting serious when I could no longer walk, sit or stand without immense pain.
 
Five days ago I sat in a surgeon's office waiting for her to lower the boom on the bad news I knew was coming.
 
Four days ago I was stretched out on my couch in constant pain, wondering if it would ever subside and how long it would be until I would run again.
 
Three days ago I substitute-taught an 11-year old Sunday School class at church. The topic? Miracles. Towards the latter end of class I was asked, "do miracles happen today?" I answered in the affirmative, as I have experienced and been a part of numerous events in my life that can only be classified as such (case in point: I'm alive after an unfortunate encounter with the wheels of a moving car at age 18 months). Then I spent the rest of the day in bed, still in too much pain to move around the house.
 
One day ago I ran for the first time in a week, not knowing how I'd feel during or after. I finished seven mostly low-pain miles but was still a little nervous about the next morning.
 
Today I woke up pain free. There's still a tender muscle or two in my lower abdomen and groin area, but the pain is gone.
 
Miracle? I say yes.
 
Back to training. I've got work to do. 

No comments: