"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Injury Update 4/30/2011

So after meeting with the doctor yesterday morning and having him tell me he thought the cause of my pain was a  hernia, I met with the surgeon yesterday afternoon. She went through the same drills of poking, prodding and generally making me want to cry. But she came up with a different diagnostic. Sort of.

"Well, the good news is I don't need to send you to emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia." In fact, she said she didn't feel any evidence of a hernia at all, including the fact that the lumpy bulge runs north/south rather than east/west towards my belly button, like it apparently should if it was a hernia.

She thought the actual lump felt much more like a lymph node and the rest of the bulge was simply fluid build up, easily displaced when pressure was applied.

So the working theory at this point is I probably pulled a muscle, which caused some bleeding in the area (causing the bulk of the swelling) and sent the lymph nodes into a frenzy as they try to filter everything out of the area. Or something like that.

I spent a lot of time last night with a hot water pad on the area and actually woke up feeling a little bit better. I probably could go run a few mile this morning, but they wouldn't be productive at all. So instead I'm taking it easy today, tomorrow and probably Monday. By Tuesday I'll hopefully feel well enough to get back to prepping for Newport, with only two runs really lost, which wouldn't be too bad, all things considered.

No comments: