"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rite of Spring 15k Recap

I wrote a recap of the Rite of Spring 15k yesterday and nearly put myself to sleep re-reading it. So I'm going a different route today. A Rite of Spring Top 10. I don't know if these are necessarily the "Top Ten" things about the race, but hopefully it will give you an idea about what went on.

10- Score, out of 10, given to the following: the weather, the course, registration/packet pick-up and cost of the event. The only thing preventing a perfect score was the post-race spread (keep reading).

9- Number of weeks since my last race (2010 First Run 5k) -- that's 9 LONG weeks and 150 miles running the same local routes. New scenery was nice.

8- Pace, in minutes, for the 9.3 mile distance. A little slower than I would have preferred, but a pace I can run lots and lots of miles at -- so a pace I can live with. For now.

7- Number of University of Oregon sorority girls who greeted each participant as they approached the registration/packet pick-up tables.

6- Estimated age, in months, of the baby the 20-something gal I thought I could pace with after two miles but didn't stand a chance against was holding at the finish line (she placed 2nd overall in the women's division at a 7:30 pace).

5- Number of degrees the temperature dropped from the time I left my house at 7:30am (44) to the time the race started at 9am (39).

4- Number of miles it took before I felt comfortable, afterwhich I felt great.

3- Score, out of 10, given to the post-race food spread. Chocolate chip and frosted gingerbread (I think) cookies, plain bagels, bananas and slightly ill-tasting water? I had to check twice to make sure I wasn't taking dessert from a 4-year old's birthday party.

2- Number of finishers in the Male 65-69 category who passed me in the 7th mile and finished about a minute ahead of me. Also the number of lessons learned from these two "experienced" runners: 1) take advantage of small slopes and run faster through them rather than trying to run a constant pace regardless of terrain and 2) it doesn't matter how creaky you look before or after a race, it's how you look between the start and finish lines that counts.

1- Number of runners participants seen gripping a venti-sized Starbucks drink along the 5k course. I'm sure the race organizers thank you for supporting their cause. Also the place I finished in my age/gender division (out of....get ready...1).

Eclectic Edge Racing took care of the race management responsibilities and did a great job. Proceeds from the race went to support the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, based in Eugene, OR.

1 comment:

Michelle R. said...

Sounds like you had a great race!

With regards to your posting about Newport Marathon, here’s what your family can do. Your family can definitely see you go from the start line and can comfortably park along the road between miles 1-6. After that, most of the run will take place on Yaquina Bay Road. It’s an out and back route. They will be closing the side of the road closer to Yaquina Bay and the other side is open but with restriction. There will be a police office at the turn around point at mile marker 16. Looking at the satellite map (http://www.newportmarathon.org/Course_Map.html), your best bet is to tell your family to take Corvallis Newport Highway (Hwy 20) which is parallel to Yaquina Bay Road. There are streets that they can take from Hwy 20 that will end up to Yaquina Bay Road. Once they’re on Yaquina Bay Road, they can park on the side of the road and cheer you on all the way through. This is supposed to be a fast course because it’s mostly flat. Good luck on your 1st marathon!