"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's In Your Engine?

Meet Mike Wardian. He is a two-time Olympic Trials qualifier in the marathon and three-time U.S. champion in the 100k, 50k and 50-mile trail events and finished 9th overall in the 2008 World 100k Championships. Mike runs marathons and ultra marathons nearly every weekend and wins many of them.

Duncan Larkin at runnow.com recently posted his interview with Mike and it's fascinating to me for a number of reasons.

In response to the question, "How do you do it?" Mike responded with the following: "I don't have a lot of secrets...I don't know if it really helps...I'm experimenting...keep trying new things and figuring out what works...I can't tell..."

Asked about the role his hydration and fueling practices during races plays in his recovery he responds with, "good question, I don't know," and basically goes on to say he drinks water, sometimes takes salt, but really doesn't offer much else.

Finally, Mike is asked about the foods he east before and after races to help his recovery.

"In the past, I’ve not eaten dairy leading up to a race. I’ve tried different things. For the most part, I try to eat like I normally do. I’m a vegetarian so I’m not eating meat and having to worry about stuff trying to be digested, I guess. Everything moves pretty quickly through me."

Yup.

Call me crazy (or call it a spurious variable if you'd like), but it seems like a key factor to his quick recovery is his diet.

I'm headed to the library on my way home to pick up Running Within and then I'm off for a final 4+ miles prior to Saturday's 8-9 miler.

No comments: