"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Monday, March 29, 2010

Inspired By The Inspired

My wife ran her first 5k on Saturday. She was convinced she was going to run a mile or so and then walk the rest of the way. A funny thing happened though, she saw people in front of her and was determined to keep up with them. And she did. I should also mention that she organized and hosted this race. It was a little family fun run starting at our church and winding through the neighborhood. A good time for all. Except for me maybe. My heart rate hadn't even come down yet from my 15-miler before I ran (literally) from my house to the church (longest .2 miles EVER) to babysit 8 kids under the age of 7 while their parents ran. I survived. Barely (the kids, not the run).

My wife has been running here and there for the past couple of weeks but was really motivated by accomplishing a 5k. Skip ahead 48 hours and she's decided to join me in Seattle for the half-marathon portion of the Rock 'n' Roll weekend. My sister (also a 5k-er) is also going to do the half-marathon (her first) as are my mom (first) and dad (third). A family affair I guess. I'm a little inspired actually. A first half-marathon can be a little intimidating.

We have a lot of logistics to work out now that we'll have to take two cars, can't cram into one hotel room and that little thing about having two little kids. We've got a couple of months to figure all of that out though. What's important is that everyone is signed up (if YOU want to sign up, you'd better hurry. It's expected to sellout in the next 24 hours) and working towards a goal.

In other news, I solved my headphone issues (post coming by Friday--don't buy a new pair of headphones until you read it), pain and fatigue is all in your head (post and research study coming) and the forecast for the next 10-14 days is pretty simple: rain and wind. Yup, welcome to Oregon.

Be sure to also check out the Top 100 Running Sites link to the right. There are some excellent sites out there (in addition to this one, hopefully).

No comments: