"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Race Prep Zone



With the Liberty House 10k now less than 48 hours away, I've entered the final nutritional phase of my pre-race training. The final two days I basically eat fruit and pasta. No meat, no dairy, no fats of any kind (i.e. nuts, seeds, oils). Fats make me feel heavy and sluggish -- I don't need any of that on Saturday morning. Here's a rough sketch of my diet yesterday through Saturday morning:

Wednesday:

  • 20 oz banana/blackberry/romaine lettuce smoothie for breakfast
  • Nine bananas throughout the day at work
  • Around 4:30pm a big plate (8-10 oz) of whole wheat pasta with a fresh tomato (from my garden!) and pure tomato sauce (no corn syrup, sugar, additives, etc)
  • Around 8:30pm a half dozen burritos with refried beans, garden lettuce, tomato, green onion, salsa on whole wheat tortillas

Thursday:

  • 8-10 bananas eaten throughout the day
  • Medium-sized bowl of oatmeal around 2pm
  • Big plate of rice pasta (more carbs/gram than whole wheat) with tomato sauce eaten around 4:30pm
  • Banana/blackberry/lettuce smootie around 8:30pm

Friday:

  • The same as Thursday with the exception of wheat pasta instead of rice pasta (haven't experimented with rice pasta the night before a race--I'll try it next week before next Saturday's run)

Saturday (run goes off at 8:30am):

  • 32 oz banana/strawberry smoothie around 6:30am or so
  • Water throughout the morning, but none after about 7:45am

If it doesn't go without saying, from Thursday on I always have a bottle of water with me. I don't know how many of ounces I go through, I just drink it constantly.

In addition to the diet, I'll probably run a mile or two friday morning just to stretch my legs. Nothing too hard, but something to connect my run on Wednesday to the race on Saturday. I don't have run today, but I played basketball for about 45 minutes this morning to get my heart rate up.

I'll check back in on Saturday after the race. A few goals below:

Race of my life goal: 48 min (7:44/mile)
Realistic goal: 50 min (8:03/mile)
Worst case scenario goal: 52 min (8:23/mile)

No comments: