"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Liberty House 10k (Minto Brown Island Park, Salem, OR)

I clocked in unofficially at 50:26 this morning, good enough for 2nd place in the M25-29 division (I'm not sure what that means as I won't know how many people were actually in my division until the results are posted online--I got a pretty red ribbon though). I did what I expected to do. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm never going to blow anyone away with a 5 or 6 minute/mile pace. But I am pleased to be hovering around the 8 minute/mile pace regardless of distance. That translates into a sub-4 hour marathon pace (though figures differ depending on who's conversion calculator you use), which is where I want to be.

The race itself wasn't too bad. After the initial spacing out in the first half mile I only got passed by two other runners and spent most of the race running by myself. I think this is good for me, as I don't feel any pressure to run too fast or slow. If I have any complaints about the race setup, I would have preferred a second water station rather that just the one at about the 3.5 mile mark. I was about a mile past needing some water at that point and was feeling the effects.

Overall, I was pleased with the run though. I'm considering taking this week off to let my body rest a bit before gearing up for another 10k in mid-September. From there, it's into official marathon training mode with the schedule I've chosen to use taking me up to the June 5th, 2010 race in Newport.

No comments: