"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Monday, July 25, 2011

Getting That Itch


Two weeks. That's how long it took me to officially recover from 3 in 31 days. I know this because this is when I was putting my training schedule together for the St. George Marathon on October 1st and thought to myself, "11 weeks...that's a long time. I need something to do in the meantime. Hey, the Pocatello Marathon is Labor Day weekend. Maybe I'll do that too!"
 
So we're going to Pocatello in 6 weeks. Taking the family, visiting some family in Pocatello and Salt Lake and making a weekend out of it. For our family, which isn't the most spontaneous group or biggest vacation takers by any stretch of the imagination, this was a big deal.
 
After looking at the calendar though, I started to have some doubts. Gee, only six Saturdays of training before that...one of them is the triathlon...another is a local 5k/10k that our office is helping to sponsor...I'm not going to put a 20 miler in the week before so that Saturday is gone...am I going to be able to get enough training in to be ready for this? I promptly got on my computer this morning and signed up. I'll work on the training details later. One answered question leads to another unanswered one though: Pocatello and St. George are 29 days apart. And that would give me five marathons in just over four months. The next Maniac level requirement is six in six months...I wonder if there's a third marathon in between those two races...oh wait, there is... Can I Make It Happen? 
 
With a paid race entry fee to any marathon I choose from my parents as a birthday gift, the only thing in my way is if I can/want to fork out money for a plane ticket. TBD...

No comments: