"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Have I done any good?

At work the same FedEx delivery guy delivers and picks up packages almost every day. A few times, he's stopped in as I've been gearing up to go for a run and so we've talked briefly about what race I'm getting ready for or other various things. He used to run and then stopped. And then got into biking and then stopped. As I was preparing for Champoeg he mentioned one day that his brother runs ultra-marathons, and having just finished Born to Run I was pretty interested.

As he made his delivery yesterday, he says out of the blue, "you've inspired me to start running again. I ran 3 miles yesterday. I hated every step of it, but felt good when I got done. I'm going to keep doing it."

Have I done any good in the world today? Perhaps.

At the very least, maybe my FedEx packages will arrive a few minutes faster.

No comments: