"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Friday, September 18, 2009

Olive Garden MVP

A quick shout out to Diane the Olive Garden waitress is in order.

Diane executed her waitress responsibilities beautifully last night. I ordered the never-ending pasta bowl special and told her I was going to eat an obscene amount of the stuff. Within moments, our table was being served our 1st bowl of salad, followed closely by a 2nd bowl. That's nice, I thought. But I didn't come here to eat salad.

My first plate of pasta soon arrived, and that's when Diane really stepped her game up. Instead of wandering away and coming back later to see if I wanted another plate (after I had already been sitting with an empty bowl for some time), and then making me wait another few minutes for the order to arrive, Diane instead asked what I would like next, even before I had taken my first bite. Awesome. By the time I was finishing my first plate, the 2nd was arriving and I was ordering my 3rd. Never staring at an empty plate for longer than a minute or so, this process continued until the rest of our table was finished and I was willing to be done so as to not make them wait for me. I don't know how many plates I polished off, but Diane boxed up one final one for me to take with me.

Perfect execution. Here's a shout out to you, Diane the Olive Garden waitress. You've earned it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I love the Olive Garden, too. We went to one last Saturday night. Our waitress was very energetic and helpful. She stood out with her bright white shirt and dark red & blue tie. However, her tie was REALLY crooked and one side of her collar was sticking up. I mentioned to her that her tie was crooked and her collar was twisted up and she thanked me and said she'd take a moment to straighten her tie and fix her collar when she gets the chance. (I'm surprised no one on the staff pointed it out to her or offered to fix her tie and her collar.)Well, about an hour later when we left, her tie was still crooked and her collar was still twisted (in fact, it was sticking straight up in her face). I would've pulled her aside and fixed her tie and her collar but that would've been intrusive.

Anonymous said...

I work at an Olive Garden and that has happened to me. I just can't tie a tie very well and I once noticed that my collar was sticking straight up on one side. It looked goofy.